Further information related to this fact sheet: Obesity and hormones.
Related information on Better Health Channel
- Body Mass Index (BMI).
- Growth hormone.
- Hormonal (endocrine) system.
- Obesity in children - causes.
- Obesity in children - management.
- Reproductive system.
- Weight loss - a healthy approach.
Related information on other website
References used for this fact sheet
- Oswal A & Yeo G, 2010, ‘Leptin and the control of body weight: a review of its diverse central targets, signalling mechanisms, and role in the pathogenesis of obesity’, Obesity (Silver Spring) vol. 18 pp. 221-229. More information here.
- Gallagher, EJ, Leroith, D & Karnieli, E, 2010, ‘Insulin resistance in obesity as the underlying cause for the metabolic syndrome’, Mt Sinai J Med, vol. 77, pp. 511-523. More information here.
- Lovejoy, JC & Sainsbury, A, 2008, ‘Sex differences in obesity and the regulation of energy homeostasis’, Obesity Review, Vol. 10, no. 2, pp. 154-167. More information here.
- Rasmussen, MH, 2009, ‘Obesity, growth hormone and weight loss’, Molecular Cell Endocrinology, vol. 316 pp. 147-153. More information here.
- Pi-Sunyer, X, 2009, ‘The medical risks of obesity’, Postgraduate Medicine, vol. 121, pp. 21-33. More information here.
This fact sheet, like all fact sheets on the Better Health Channel, has passed through a rigorous and exhaustive approval process. It is also regularly updated. For more information see our quality assurance page.